Thursday, September 22, 2011

the gym


I am not talking about Lifetime Fitness. I cancelled my membership when I quit my job to help with cutting expenses. (sob) Instead, I am talking about the baby gym. Also known as an activity center, a baby gym is a mat with colorful arches that suspend different toys and stuffed animals. The baby can reach for the different toys and play with them. It is used to help build muscle strength and coordination.
When I was registering for baby items, I had considered registering for a gym, but had deemed it on the not needed list. This was primarily due to the price tag, the lack of available space in our apartment, and the fact that there were many other items that I needed more. I thought that I would dangle items for him to reach instead and that is what I have been doing for the past weeks. The bad side of that is that it really doesn’t allow for independent play. Not that he needs independent play at this age, but soon it will be good for him to entertain himself.
Walking through Once Upon a Child this past weekend to buy some fall clothes for Teddy, I noticed a gym for sale that looked brand new for 1/2 the normal price and decided to purchase it. I brought it home, washed it, and let Teddy try it out. He wasn’t so sure at first and didn’t play with the toys. After a few play times with mommy and daddy, he seems to really like it and swings his little arms at the rattles.
As with many things already with parenting, I changed my mind and would recommend having a baby gym.
We bought the Fisher Price Luv U Zoo.
 -Anna

originally posted september 14, 2011