I can understand why people with colicky babies place them in their car seat and drive them around at night. Teddy isn’t colicky, but car seat + moving automobile is like a recipe for sleep. I have heard it said that that the hum of the road and gentle vibration of the car’s movement makes babies feel like they are back in the womb. I am not sure what it is, but whenever we go somewhere, his little cheeks are pressed to his chest and he is snoozing away a minute after we leave the apartment. And as of now, he doesn’t wake up when we stop, he keeps on snoozing until he is hungry enough to wake up. This has made it really easy to take him places or run errands with. I just make sure that I feed him before we leave and the car puts him into dream land.
As I wheel him in the cart around Target and see other screaming children, I realize it won’t always be this easy. Until he can start grabbing things off of the shelf and cry because I won’t buy him a new toy, I will enjoy my little sleepy boy at the store.
-Anna