Thursday, September 22, 2011

crocheting, it's not just for your grandma

I taught myself how to knit in college by buying one of those self teaching books at Barnes and Noble. Specifically, it was while I was working as an intern in southern Iowa and bored out of my mind. I had never tried crocheting because I thought that knowing how to knit was enough grandma arts-and-craftiness for one girl in her twenties. That changed when one of my friends had a knitting/crocheting evening at her apartment and my friend Emily showed me the basics. Now while I had been knitting for a few years,  I really only knew how to knit one thing, scarves. I was excited to find how much easier crocheting was and how I could create much more interesting projects. My friend Jennifer, the host of the party, also showed me a great sight called ravelry www.ravelry.com where you can get free patterns, log and track your projects, and as questions about how to do different crochet stitches. I was surprised by all of the people of different ages that were on the site and working on projects with some people being beginners and some having years of experience. I have always enjoyed making hand made gifts and I have found this to be a great way as I have slowly been making different presents for people over the past year. So, I am hooked and I am one more example of why crocheting is not just for your grandma anymore.