Thursday, September 22, 2011

best banana bread

Just when I think that I can’t get enough of Marjorie Johnson and her recipes, I continue to go back to them and I always love the results. I honestly believe that in baking, a baker is only as good as the recipe used. I am not saying that ingredient quality doesn’t matter, but the process and ingredient proportion plays a much larger part in the success of the baked good.
Today, I made Marjorie’s recipe for banana bread again. Her recipe turns out perfect every time. It’s not too moist, not too dry, and I never have to worry about doughy bread, which I have made in the past.
I am sure Marjorie won’t mind me sharing this recipe as well.


Ingredients
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon juice, mashed bananas, and vanilla.
Sift dry ingredients together and stir into the egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the walnuts. Grease and flour two small bread pans. Pour in batter. Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Let batter stand in pans for 10 minutes prior to baking.
Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand in pans for 10 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pan.

Note: I typically only have to cook it for 40-45 minutes.
-Anna