Sunday, March 18, 2012

irish soda bread

Having Irish ancestry on my side of the family, I feel it’s my duty for us to have a few Irish traditions. With St. Patrick’s day happening this past weekend and many of the popular Irish past times not being age appropriate for Edmund (EVER), I decided to make Irish soda bread. I hadn’t had it in years, but there is nothing better than quick bread fresh out of the oven. It's slightly sweet with the raisins and the small amount of brown sugar, but a little crumbly like a scone. It baked up beautifully. I even gave a little bit to Edmund (sans raisins) who also loved it.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup raisins

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg and buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins.Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Shape into a round loaf; place on a greased baking sheet. Cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross in top of loaf. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaf.
Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

-Anna