Tuesday, March 27, 2012

diy diaper wipes

It was my friend Jennifer that caused me to think about baby wipes. I had used the sensitive wipes with Edmund since he was born without any issues, plus buying the Target brand, they weren’t very expensive. But Jennifer had her baby about 6 months after Edmund was born and she uses cloth wipes and water to reduce the chemicals that are on her baby’s skin.

The idea that wipes had chemicals on them had never crossed my mind. I try to avoid chemicals where necessary, but that doesn't mean I am afraid of them. There are plenty of things that are made in a lab that are not harmful and plenty of things that are in nature that can be. And, I have tried using green cleaners on my shower and it looks awful within a few weeks, so I will stick with bleach.

That being said, do I really think that something bad is going to happen by using normal baby wipes? No. But it turns out that I can actually make them cheaper myself.

So, I reviewed a few blogs and settled on the following. I am on my second batch so far and love them. I am glad I made the switch.

Supplies:
1 roll of quality paper towels (select a size) cut in half,
1 large container with lid
1 1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp baby wash
1/2 tsp baby oil
3 drops of lavender essential oil

Directions:
1) Cut your paper towel in half using a sharp knife. (Save unused half for future use.)
2) Place the half roll of paper towels into the container.
3) Mix together all of the wet ingredients and pour evenly over the paper towels.
4) Wait 10 minutes, then flip the roll of paper towels over and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
5) Carefully pull out cardboard tube from the center.
6) Pull paper towel out from center.
7) Cover after each use.

-Anna