Wednesday, March 21, 2012

baby foods

So, I am revisiting the topic of baby food. If anything, it’s to remind myself of the different foods that I have given to Edmund so that I am not racking my brain when we have child number two. Making Edmund’s baby food has been super easy and fun. I kept it easy and used a steamer and a food processor. I already had the food processor, but I never had a steamer, so it was a perfect excuse to ask for one for Christmas (thanks mom!). I make enough food for each week and freeze what I won’t use that day. I freeze it in these handy 2.5 oz containers that my mom bought me and also in ice cube trays since Edmund eats about 8-10 oz of baby food each day and I only have a dozen containers.

Edmund eats pretty much anything and is a fantastic eater, just like his dad. I have read books on baby food, articles, blogs (aka Sweet Peas and Pumpkins) and have asked for input from other moms so as to incorporate foods in an organized manner and also to try to keep things interesting. 
So far, here is what we have tried, in order (and Edmund's thoughts on it):
Rice Cereal – Likes
Carrots – Likes
Squash – Likes
Peas – Likes
Avocados- Likes
Sweet Potatoes - Likes
Apples – Likes
Parsnips – Just Okay
Bananas – Likes
Asparagus – Likes
Roasted Rutabagas – Just Okay
Cauliflower – Likes
Green Beans - Just Okay
Quinoa - Likes
Mango - Likes
Broccoli - Just Okay
Pears - Likes

Spices Added: Nutmeg, Allspice, Cinnamon


Not too shabby for him being on solid for only two months.

Looking forward to the summer which will mean more fruit in his diet!

-Anna