Since Edmund and I were sick over Labor Day, we didn't get a chance as a family to go to a local winery that we had planned on visiting.
For those of you who know me, I love doing new and fun things, especially with my family. Although I enjoy being at home, there is something thrilling about going somewhere new and trying something different. I had never been to an Ohio winery before. Before going, I looked up the winery on google maps and set my expectations pretty low. I had been to only a few wineries in Germany and Vermont and they had been very nice. This, I knew, was going to be much lower rent.
 |
| wyandotte winery |
Tucked in a rural housing development on the outskirts in Columbus, Wyandotte Winery has been passed to different families and has been in operation since 1977. While they don't grow any of their own grapes, they have a pretty serious set up in the basement of their house.
 |
| wyandotte winery |
With our trusty friend Rick in tow, we made the short trip to check it out. We enjoyed learning about their wine making process and their small batch making machinery which is used for bottling, corking, and labeling. I can see the wheels in dads head turning already on how we can convert our unfinished basement into a winery. The winery outputs about 3000 bottles of wine a year, which is a pretty serious business.
After touring the facilities, we enjoyed some oyster cracker eating and wine drinking. (Since we wouldn't let Edmund try the wine, they had to suffice for him. He didn't seem to mind.)
 |
| edmund enjoying his crackers |
There were a number of wines to choose from. Dad is thinking hard about what he wants to try.
 |
| in deep thought |
 |
| the list |
After selecting the wines we wanted to try, they came one by one to let us try them out. We each had a different five to choose from. The most interesting of the wines we tried were the vintage harbor which is a blueberry port style wine and the apple hill wine which is a pure apple wine.
We had a fun time and made us realize that perhaps it is time to try some other wines from Ohio.
-Anna