I think I have finally come to the realization that my memory is never going to be what it used to be. While I have never been particularly good at names and birthdays, I used to consider myself sharp and had an ability to remember lots of small details.
Enter motherhood.
I am not sure what it is that caused it, but I know it all went downhill when I got pregnant with Edmund. Even though that was also the beginning of many nights of not sleeping well, Edmund has been sleeping through the night for a year now.
I might have told you that my memory has gone back to it's original state, but at this point I have a hard time remembering what that even looked like. And, if last night's discussion with Eric is any indicator, I am going to say it is still missing:
(Me sorting through an Ikea box filled with cd's)
Anna: Woah! When did we get the latest Feist CD????
Eric: I bought it for you for your birthday last year.
Anna: Seriously??? I don't remember that... Are you sure?
Eric: Yes. I also got you the Coldplay cd.
(I should mention my birthday is in December. I should also mention that the cd had not even been opened.)
Well, I didn't quite believe him. I fortunately, or unfortunately, had blogged about my birthday since it was a milestone (yeah 30's), and knew I had taken a picture of my presents.
I had evidence. Eric was right.
Perhaps I am secretly not sleeping through the night and I am not getting any REM sleep.
Perhaps I have crammed my head to full with all of the parenting books and articles and have maxed out my storage capacity.
Perhaps Edmund stole part of my brain while he as inside me.
Perhaps I have early onset alzheimers. (Some days I feel like I do.)
I am not sure what the exact cause is, but I do know is that once you become a mother, your memory will never be quite the same.
But there is a bright side.
Being a mother, I have now accumulated some of the best memories of my life and when I am old, this is the part of my life that I pray that I will remember best.
-Anna
Enter motherhood.
I am not sure what it is that caused it, but I know it all went downhill when I got pregnant with Edmund. Even though that was also the beginning of many nights of not sleeping well, Edmund has been sleeping through the night for a year now.
I might have told you that my memory has gone back to it's original state, but at this point I have a hard time remembering what that even looked like. And, if last night's discussion with Eric is any indicator, I am going to say it is still missing:
(Me sorting through an Ikea box filled with cd's)
Anna: Woah! When did we get the latest Feist CD????
Eric: I bought it for you for your birthday last year.
Anna: Seriously??? I don't remember that... Are you sure?
Eric: Yes. I also got you the Coldplay cd.
(I should mention my birthday is in December. I should also mention that the cd had not even been opened.)
Well, I didn't quite believe him. I fortunately, or unfortunately, had blogged about my birthday since it was a milestone (yeah 30's), and knew I had taken a picture of my presents.
I had evidence. Eric was right.
Perhaps I am secretly not sleeping through the night and I am not getting any REM sleep.
Perhaps I have crammed my head to full with all of the parenting books and articles and have maxed out my storage capacity.
Perhaps Edmund stole part of my brain while he as inside me.
Perhaps I have early onset alzheimers. (Some days I feel like I do.)
I am not sure what the exact cause is, but I do know is that once you become a mother, your memory will never be quite the same.
But there is a bright side.
Being a mother, I have now accumulated some of the best memories of my life and when I am old, this is the part of my life that I pray that I will remember best.
-Anna