Friday, March 1, 2013

lemon blueberry bread

I should have known better than to buy blueberries at the store in February. They weren't very good. I like a nice, firm blueberry. These were sort of mushy and mealy, but they were on sale and I had already purchased them. The next thing was trying to figure out something to do with them because I hate wasting.

I decided that I was in more of a bread mood than muffin mood. Plus, bread is easier to make than muffins because you just have to pour it into one pan than into multiple muffin tins.

I went to my trusty source for all things - google and searched for a recipe. I came across the below recipe for lemon blueberry bread and decided to give it a try.

The bread came out light, like a pound cake. I didn't have any lemons in the house, so I substituted a little lemon extract in the dough and skipped the glaze reduce the amount of sugar.
Bread
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Lemon Glaze
Ingredients
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions
Bread
1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F. 
2) Butter bottom and sides of loaf pan (9x5x3 in).
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Remove 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. Place the blueberries in a separate bowl and toss the berries with the 1 tablespoon flour.
4) In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
5) Add the eggs, one at a time beating well after each.
6) Beat in the vanilla.
7) With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined.
8) Gently fold in the blueberries by hand.
9) Scrape batter into pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Lemon Glaze (Optional)
1) In a small microwaveable bowl, stir the sugar with the lemon juice. Place in the microwave for about 20 seconds or just until sugar has dissolved.
2) When the bread is done, remove from oven, pierce the top of the hot loaf with a toothpick and brush with the hot lemon glaze. Let cool in the loaf pan for about 30 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. 

Makes 1 loaf.

Link to original recipe on Joy of Baking.

-Anna