Wednesday, February 4, 2015

pine cone bird feeders

Is it spring yet? Don't get me wrong. I love playing in the snow and warm evenings in front of the fire, but I feel like we are starting to get a little stir crazy over here. The amount of time we can spend outdoors is limited by frozen little fingers and toes during these cold months so we have been trying hard to do some new things to pass the hours.

One of Edmund's favorite activities is bird watching. We bought him a bird feeder for Christmas that we placed outside our patio and we watch the birds eat. He seriously wanted one. Every time we go to Home Depot he requests to see the lawn mowers and the bird feeders.

I decided we should make bird feeders of our own.

I am sure almost everyone has made these if you lived anywhere in your life where there are birds. I think that is pretty much everywhere since even Antarctica has them. (Although, they don't really eat seeds.) You don't need much, just the following.

Supplies:
Peanut butter
Pine cones
String
Bird seed
Bowl (To put bird seed in for rolling)
the supplies
Directions:
1) Apply peanut butter to the pine cone liberally.
rolling on peanut butter
Make sure to taste test the peanut butter for good measure.
mmmm
2) Roll pine cones around in the bird seed.
rolling
3) Attach string to the top of the pine cone.
4) Carefully hang up in your favorite tree.
bird treats
It's a fun way to help the birds during the winter months and the boys enjoy watching them perch on them to have a snack.

-Anna