We always find it difficult to eat an entire watermelon. Even between the three of us, we can only put a large dent in it. We happened to have some left over from our house warming party this past weekend which got me thinking about doing something with it. The first thing that came to mind to beat the heat was watermelon sorbet.
After searching online, I quickly realized that most recipes require an icecream maker, which being lactose intolerant, I don't have. I changed my search to include "without an icecream maker" and viola! I found one at Taste of Home that looked easy and gave it a try.
It turned out delicious and refreshing. This will be a definite summer go-to dessert.
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions:
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring frequently until the sugar is dissolved.
In a blender or food processor, blend the watermelon in batches until pureed.
Transfer watermelon to a large bowl; stir in the sugar syrup and lemon juice.
Pour into a 13x9" baking dish.
Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or until firm.
Just before serving, puree watermelon mixture in batches until smooth.
-Anna
After searching online, I quickly realized that most recipes require an icecream maker, which being lactose intolerant, I don't have. I changed my search to include "without an icecream maker" and viola! I found one at Taste of Home that looked easy and gave it a try.
It turned out delicious and refreshing. This will be a definite summer go-to dessert.
![]() |
| watermelon sorbet |
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions:
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring frequently until the sugar is dissolved.
In a blender or food processor, blend the watermelon in batches until pureed.
Transfer watermelon to a large bowl; stir in the sugar syrup and lemon juice.
Pour into a 13x9" baking dish.
Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or until firm.
Just before serving, puree watermelon mixture in batches until smooth.
-Anna
