The below is just a humorous account of something that I want to remember. It's not meant to be a complaint because our son is so easy to put down for naps and bedtime, I don't dare complain. But today, it was a bit more of a humorous adventure...
I knew what we had to do.
I called to Eric. He came in and we set Edmund on the ground and moved his mattress down to the lowest level. We had just changed it to the middle level a few days prior, but I worried that he might try to climb out. The side bar was low enough that I thought he might manage it with his crazy upper body strength. He’s been getting his tree trunk legs stuck in the crib slats lately because (I think) that is what he has been trying to do.
2:00 PM
Today, I put Edmund down for his afternoon nap as normal. He had been rubbing his face, so I knew that he was sleepy (that’s his sign). I changed his diaper and fed him, so I was a little surprised that I heard him chattering to himself 15 minutes after I had laid him down. I typically will wait 15 minutes before going in to check on him. If he chatters longer than 15 minutes, it means he wants a diaper change.
2:15 PM
He was still chattering, so I quietly opened the door and peaked in. Expecting to find a messy diaper to greet me, I was shocked at what I found instead. Edmund was standing in his crib! I should also mention that he had knocked over his toiletry basket that I keep on his dresser. He was waiting for me to come in and started squealing at me to look at him. Needless to say, he was quite proud of himself - for both standing and for scattering his personal care products. I called to Eric to come quick and look at his son. He was equally shocked to find him standing in his crib. We have never seen him stand up by himself before. He had only learned how to sit up from laying down the week prior. I figured it was just a fluke.
I checked his diaper, changed it, and laid him back down. There was lots of face rubbing against his sheets and I was sure that he was going to go down for his nap this time.
2:30 PM
I continued to hear chattering from his bedroom, so I went in to check on him again and guess who was standing up. Again. Unfortunately, I surprised him when I quietly called his name and he fell backwards. He didn’t cry, but I picked him up anyway.
I knew what we had to do.
I called to Eric. He came in and we set Edmund on the ground and moved his mattress down to the lowest level. We had just changed it to the middle level a few days prior, but I worried that he might try to climb out. The side bar was low enough that I thought he might manage it with his crazy upper body strength. He’s been getting his tree trunk legs stuck in the crib slats lately because (I think) that is what he has been trying to do.
2:50 PM
Mattress changed and baby put back down.
3:20 PM
We thought that Edmund had fallen asleep, but we heard crying. Eric went in and found him sitting with one of his legs stuck between the crib slats. Eric frees it, hugs him for a few minutes and put him back to bed.
3:30 PM
All is quiet. I peeked in and found Edmund sleeping.
4:00 PM
Edmund is too excited about his new skill that he wakes up and I hear him back at it trying to stand in his crib.
4:15 PM
All is silent again… until 5 PM when he woke up.
Looks like someone is going to bed early tonight.
-Anna (and Eric and Edmund - who would want to be included because he is super proud)
.jpg)