Being a relatively new mom, there are plenty of things that I thought that I would never do that I have already done. Of course, there is a long list of things that I know are ridiculous that I knew that I would do, like singing to Edmund when I change his diaper/give him a bath/do anything with him, compulsively smelling his sweet head after I give him a bath, and kissing his cheeks so much I worry they might become pruney. But like most things in life, the best laid plans and ideas can go out the window, especially when it comes to having kids.
For example –
I only planned on having him sleep in the pack and play for the first 6 weeks, then I would move him over to his crib. About 5 months later, he actually made the big move. Sure, I can blame it on the holidays or that we didn’t buy a baby monitor yet. Either way, it didn’t happen.
Or when he was really young, I would plan going out when he needed a nap, rather than the reverse. I realized he would fall asleep in his car seat on the drive and it was easier going shopping with a sleeping baby because he had two settings – eating and sleeping.
Or that I sometimes quickly ask Eric to change his diaper after I know that he’s gone #2 (the grunting gives it away). This more happened when he was teething because he would go 3-4 times each day. Either way, I suppose it wasn’t very nice of me to act surprised when Eric would mention that he had messed himself. Unfortunately, I don’t have a very good poker face so he was wise to my tricks pretty quickly.
Or the fact that Eric and I think he is the most adorable baby. Ever. There. I said it. I never thought I would be one of those parents. I thought I would think he was cute, because he was mine, but honestly, both Eric and I think that it is impossible for a baby to be cuter than him. I suppose it doesn’t help that friends/family/co-workers/strangers are always commenting on how cute he is. Not going to lie, I really don’t mind hearing it.
So, what this entire message boils down to is that when you are a mom, for most things, it's better off never saying never. You may think never, but never is a really long time.
-Anna
![]() |
| seriously. these brown eyes and kissable cheeks make me melt. |
