I sometimes call Eric skinny legs Grashorn, and if you have ever seen my husband, you won’t ask why. Eric has the “Gregor build” which means a tall and lean frame with long, thin legs. I enjoy watching him do things like running because he looks like a gazelle with his long strides. I will admit, being more short legged myself, I am a bit jealous. Recently, I have found myself using the same nickname with Edmund. Edmund had his 2 month appointment this past week and he was 24 inches long, barely fitting into some of his 3 month gear.
As a mother, and a bit of a worry wart, a part of me worries about the fact that even though he is long, he is lean. Aren’t babies supposed to be chubby? I know that I sure was, but Eric’s mom reminds me that Eric was also a thin baby. It makes me feel better considering I feed him constantly. I feel like I am counting down the days until I can give him solids, hoping that I will be able to fill him up. One good thing is that Edmund will most likely never have to worry about his weight. He will most likely always be thin and tall, although I wouldn’t mind if he isn’t 6’7” like his dad. The world isn’t made for people that big. It’s a bit abnormal.
Daily, I am reminded how we are so blessed to have a happy boy. He is such a good natured baby. I am not going to sit here and say he doesn’t fuss or cry. He does, but 95% of the time it means he is wet or hungry. The other 5% means he is lonely and wants to cuddle. He loves to smile, of which he has many. Some look shy, most look like he is roaring like a lion followed by a squawk or a “gee”. Even when he is frowning, tickling his cheek can usually bring on a grin.
He is starting to master his fists and likes to lick whichever one gets there first like an ice cream cone. He loves to bat at objects, especially on his play mat. He will sit there and coo to himself while making the toys jingle. Sometimes his pose looks like he is boxing, which makes us call him “fists of fury”. His fists of fury have also unfortunately caused him to whack me in the face while he is eating.
He is really liking his vibrating bouncy chair. I have found it a great way to entertain him when taking a shower. I bring it into the bathroom and he sits there quietly. Sometimes I can hear him chattering to himself through the shower curtain. I have also found the bouncy chair useful during dinner time since even if I just fed him, Edmund will chime in saying that he wants to eat as well. (Did I mention he is always hungry?) I hope the smell of dinner is a sign that he will enjoy my cooking and not be a fussy eater.
Our favorite thing about Edmund is his facial expressions. His many smiles, thoughtful wrinkles of his brow, his wide eyed curiosity, his crazy wide eyed over stimulation… I may be over analyzing his facial expressions, but even our pediatrician commented on it. It keeps us wondering what’s going on in his sweet little head. We most often guess he is thinking about food, a trait he gets from his dad.
We find ourselves loving our little boy more and more every day. When we started praying for a family and children, who knew it would be so challenging, rewarding, and exhausting? I think that people warned us how much work children are, but that they are worth it. We would have to agree.
We look forward to seeing what God has in store for Edmund and for us in the next month!
-Anna
As a mother, and a bit of a worry wart, a part of me worries about the fact that even though he is long, he is lean. Aren’t babies supposed to be chubby? I know that I sure was, but Eric’s mom reminds me that Eric was also a thin baby. It makes me feel better considering I feed him constantly. I feel like I am counting down the days until I can give him solids, hoping that I will be able to fill him up. One good thing is that Edmund will most likely never have to worry about his weight. He will most likely always be thin and tall, although I wouldn’t mind if he isn’t 6’7” like his dad. The world isn’t made for people that big. It’s a bit abnormal.
Daily, I am reminded how we are so blessed to have a happy boy. He is such a good natured baby. I am not going to sit here and say he doesn’t fuss or cry. He does, but 95% of the time it means he is wet or hungry. The other 5% means he is lonely and wants to cuddle. He loves to smile, of which he has many. Some look shy, most look like he is roaring like a lion followed by a squawk or a “gee”. Even when he is frowning, tickling his cheek can usually bring on a grin.
He is starting to master his fists and likes to lick whichever one gets there first like an ice cream cone. He loves to bat at objects, especially on his play mat. He will sit there and coo to himself while making the toys jingle. Sometimes his pose looks like he is boxing, which makes us call him “fists of fury”. His fists of fury have also unfortunately caused him to whack me in the face while he is eating.
He is really liking his vibrating bouncy chair. I have found it a great way to entertain him when taking a shower. I bring it into the bathroom and he sits there quietly. Sometimes I can hear him chattering to himself through the shower curtain. I have also found the bouncy chair useful during dinner time since even if I just fed him, Edmund will chime in saying that he wants to eat as well. (Did I mention he is always hungry?) I hope the smell of dinner is a sign that he will enjoy my cooking and not be a fussy eater.
Our favorite thing about Edmund is his facial expressions. His many smiles, thoughtful wrinkles of his brow, his wide eyed curiosity, his crazy wide eyed over stimulation… I may be over analyzing his facial expressions, but even our pediatrician commented on it. It keeps us wondering what’s going on in his sweet little head. We most often guess he is thinking about food, a trait he gets from his dad.
We find ourselves loving our little boy more and more every day. When we started praying for a family and children, who knew it would be so challenging, rewarding, and exhausting? I think that people warned us how much work children are, but that they are worth it. We would have to agree.
We look forward to seeing what God has in store for Edmund and for us in the next month!
-Anna
