I have been trying to do some science experiments with the boys to fight the winter blues. Primarily because I can only play with kinetic sand and playdough so many times.
I found the following idea on. It was easy enough and I happened to have all of the supplies at home.
Supplies:
Markers
Coffee Filters
Glasses
Water
Pipe Cleaners
Directions:
1) Make a large circle with the markers around the center of the coffee filter.
Science can be educational, artsy, and fun!
Note: I am not sure why, but the black in our package of Crayola markers did not separate at all. Sort of weird. The green and brown both worked great.
-Anna
I found the following idea on. It was easy enough and I happened to have all of the supplies at home.
Supplies:
Markers
Coffee Filters
Glasses
Water
Pipe Cleaners
Directions:
1) Make a large circle with the markers around the center of the coffee filter.
![]() |
| adding colors |
2) Fold the coffee filter in half and then in half again, making a triangle. Gently set the filter with the tip barely touching the water.
![]() |
| starting to separate |
3) Watch the colors within the makers separate as the water slowly bleeds up the filters.
![]() |
| patiently watching |
4) When the water has made it up to the top of the filters, lay the filters out on the newspaper to dry.
5) Once dry, twist a pipe cleaner around the center of the filter to make a beautiful butterfly.
![]() |
| look mama! a bootifuh butterfwie |
Note: I am not sure why, but the black in our package of Crayola markers did not separate at all. Sort of weird. The green and brown both worked great.
-Anna



-1.jpg)