Speckled Sow Recipe Research
http://www.pearedcreation.com/hoster-brewing-company
http://www.ohiobreweriana.com/library/holdings/hoster.shtml
http://davideharrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Manuszak_2002.pdf
http://www.beerhistory.com/library/
http://www.americanbreweriana.org/breweriana/westernbrewerjournals.php
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html
http://thomas.cizauskas.net/articles/maize.html
https://archive.org/stream/americanhandybo00wahlgoog/americanhandybo00wahlgoog_djvu.txt
https://ia800301.us.archive.org/35/items/americanhandybo00wahlgoog/americanhandybo00wahlgoog.pdf
http://www.beerinstitute.org/statistics
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/difference-between-a-pre-prohibition-style-lager-and-post-prohibition.102016/
https://www.sites.google.com/site/jesskidden/jk'smisc.beerpages
Brewing Battles: A History of American Beer, Amy Mittleman
http://catalog.ohiohistory.org/Presto/content/Detail.aspx?q=YnJld2luZw==&ctID=NmE4OGE2YjYtNTE1Ni00Mjk4LWFiZGMtYTAzOTk0ODFmYzMy&rID=MzI4Mw==&qcf=&ph=VHJ1ZQ==&bckToL=VHJ1ZQ==&
Beers, Breweries & Breweriana Sonja and Will Anderson, 1969
"The theory and practice of modern brewing" Frank Faulkner https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=tvs7AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PR4-IA1
Journal of the Institute of Brewing, 1907 https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=GX5BAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PP1
Ok, I give up. I'll use the George Fix "pre-prohibition lager" recipe here and convert it from 1BBl:
http://www.morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html
Aim for a touch over 1.05, get up to about 27IBU.
Grist
8.5 lbs american 6 row
2 lbs flaked maize
6.5 gal wort, pre-boil SG = 1.041, final SG = 1.053 @ 70%
Step mash:
122F for 30 min (malt only, use 2.5 gal of water, 133F)
140F for 15 min (add 3 qt boiling water and flaked maize)
158F for 30 min (direct heat)
170F for 10 min (add 1.5 gal boiling water)
1oz Mt Hood (60 min 5.1% alpha, YCH pellet)
1oz Mt Hood (10 min 5.1% alpha, YCH pellet)
about 29 IBU
4/2/2016 10:15am Began dough-in with 3 qt of 133F water.
10:27am Finished infusing the rest of the 133F
water. Something went wrong, mash temp was up
to 135F (somehow), so I added 1qt of room temp
water. Temp stabilized at 129. Not sure
how my calculations got so screwed up. The
kettle thermometer says the mash is
128F right now but the stick thermometer says
122F. GUess I need to calibrate again.
10:58am Added flaked maize and then boiling water, temp
of mash was 124F when I added the maize and
boiling water, it only got to 138F after adding
the boiling water. Began 15 min rest.
11:12am Began using direct heat on the mash kettle
to raise the temp to 158F for next rest.
11:27am Finished heating mash. Temp settled at
161F, a little high, but I'm sure it will
fall in the next half hour.
11:58am Finished 158F rest, added 1.5 gal
boiling water for mashout. Temp of mash was
158F before adding the boiling water, so that
rest was a little bit warm.
12:12pm finally finished recirculation, took a lot
more than normal for wort to run clear. Began
sparge.
12:31pm sparge has slowed to a tiny trickle with only
3 gal collected (there are 5 in the mash tun.)
Will add sparge water and attempt to clear
clogged false bottom.
12:36pm added 2.5 gal 180F sparge water.
12:46pm began second sparge.
1:00pm finished sparge. Only got a touch
under 6 gal. something is wrong.
Pre-boil SG=1.05 on the nose, right about
70F. Close enough for the calibrated temp.
That's a little over 75% efficiency, pretty good.
1:49pm Boil begins. Doing 75 min boil today.
Note that I was unable to keep my outdoor burner
lit today, so I had to boil inside. The boil was
not as vigorous as I would have liked.
2:06pm Added 1oz Mt Hood.
2:48pm Added 1oz Mt Hood, whirlfloc, wyeast beer yeast
nutrient and put immersion chiller in kettle.
3:05pm Finished boil
3:16pm Temp down to 95F.
3:21pm Temp down to 80F, turned off chiller. Got
about 4.75 gallons of wort, pretty good evaporation.
I will add 0.75 gallons of water to get the starting
gravity to about 1.052, should have about 5 gallons
in the fermenter.
6:50pm Moved wort to bucket, aerated for 20 minutes
7:10pm Began moving wort to kolsch fermenter. Measured
SG = 1.060, had about 4.5gal of contents after
removing the kolsch and adding the speckled sow
wort (left behind all the cold break from kolsch
as well as a touch more beer than I'd wanted to.)
Added 0.5 gal fresh water, which reduced the SG = 1.055.
That should be perfect. Added clarity ferm for
gluten reduction (which seemed to work for Little Bitter
and Ry's PA, as tested on Laura Plantenberg.)
11:40pm Krausen has formed, fermentation is active. Lots
of motion up and down in fermenter. Wonder if I
will need blowoff tube? I am guessing yes.
Temp is 71F. Wort is very light in color, about
the same pale gold as the kolsch. I was hoping for
more bright yellow than pale gold, but it is still
quite light. The flavor is just a hint grainy, but
rather clean overall. Tastes less sweet than before
with the addition of the hops, but still not
very bitter. Might actually be less bitter than
the kolsch was.
4/3/2016 7:19am Fermentation is tremendously active, large chunks
of cold break material are flying everywhere.
1s between bubbles, fermenter is 70F. Exhaust
smells sweet and fruity.
12:59pm This fermentation is the most active I've seen.
The entire basement smells sweet and fruity.
4:03pm 1.2 bubbles/s, temp of fermenter is up to 71F,
reservoir at 70F.
4/4/2016 7:03am 3s between bubbles, fermentation is already starting
to slow slightly. Temp it probably a touch lower
than 71F, and the reservoir is still 70F. Beer smells
less fruity now, more "beery".
4/5/2016 7:10am Temp down to probably 70.5F, reservoir at 70F,
3s between bubbles.
4/6/2016 5:24pm 5s between bubbles, fermenter is 70F.
4/7/2016 5:02pm 7s between bubbles
4/8/2016 7:48pm 13s between bubbles, fermentation has slowed
considerably.
4/9/2016 7:22pm Krausen has fallen
4/10/2016 7:13am 26s between bubbles.
4/12/2016 7:02am 37s between bubbles.
4/16/2016 7:01pm Transferred to secondary, put it in the lagering
fridge at 50F. Will keep it in secondary for
5 days, then bottle. Just want some of the trub
to settle out. There are about 4.5 gallons of beer.
4/22/2016 11:30am Bottled today. Used 1.9oz corn sugar, boiled for
5 minutes with 2C doubled filtered water. Got
42 12oz bottles and 2 24oz bottles for 46 bottles
equivalent. FG=1.009, with the OG = 1.055, that
gives 6% ABV (a little higher than I wanted) and
83% attenuation, which is very high for the yeast.
The beer is very interesting, a little different
than I expected. The color is again a bright
gold, almost the same as the kolsch. It is more
cloudy than the kolsch, but not so much as I
intended. Probably should have given a warmer
secondary. Fruit is mostly on the nose, and there
is a nice rich molasses or deep grain flavor in the
nose as well. The flavor is robust, a little
bit "melon-y", and again quite grainy. There is
either some alcoholic heat or some hop bitterness
that gives it a little bit of an edge. It is not
nearly as mouth filling as I had hoped, like the
Land Grant 1862 ale. It is good, it is a little
different.
4/30/2016 8:40pm Opened a bottle today, one that I had on the fridge,
and it was not carbonated enough. Will check back
next week. It is quite clear and pretty grainy,
tastes nice and rustic and plenty unique.
5/6/2016 2:35pm Fully carbonated now, but there is only a thin
white head that dissapates pretty quickly. It
is nice and grainy and has an earthy quality,
but it is a lot less fruity than I had hoped.
It has the slightest hint of whatever fruit is in
Bell's yeast, but it is only a hint. The
fruit seems to be a bit "musky". More than
anything else it is spicy. I can't figure out
if it is from the yeast or the hops. My guess
is that 1oz of Mt Hood for 10 min givess too much
hop flavor. It tastes very earthy with a hint
of cinnamon and black pepper. Anna thinks it
tastes like black licorice, which I don't
agree with. I do think it is a bit too "heavy",
and with a lower gravity would end up cleaner.
I will try again next year going lighter on
the starting gravity and flavor hops.
5/11/2016 10:58pm Had a bottle that was kept in the basement to
carbonate and it is a lot better than the ones
kept on the fridge. A lot less spicy and
less musky. It is still funky but a lot more
crisp. It is fine, but it isn't great.
6/27/2016 10:38pm I like the beer even more now. It is quite
clear (thanks clarity ferm!) perfectly carbonated
to maybe a touch overly so (the glass is about
3/4 of the way full and there is still some
head on it.) I think that it is too spicy,
which I am blaming on the large addition
of Mt Hood at 10 min. If I insist on using
a full 1oz, I should put some in at 15 min
and some in at 5 min. It is of course possible
that the spicy flavor is from the yeast, but
based on my experience with the Pilsener (which
had a huge addition of Saaz at 20 min), I am
guessing that the spicy flavor I taste is
"noble hop character." Also, I just decided that
it is a touch too bitter. I think with a lower
bitterness level the other, subtler flavors
will shine through. I was hoping for a little
more expressiveness out of the grist, but I really
don't notice much. I'd be shocked if the american
6-row is what is causing the spicy flavor. It is
worth noting here that Tom loved it, preferring it
over the Kolsch and the Pils (and he even liked it
enough to leave a Yuengling behind.)
8/18/2016 10:11pm Having a bottle now (only 4 left) to compare
with the Kolsch. It is much more dry than the kolsch
(no surprise since I put the wort right on the yeast
cake.) It has a bit of a minerally (more like
metallic) taste that I don't like and it is
too spicy. If I make it again I might use
a blend of 2 row/ 6 row, use single infusion (but
at a relatively low temp like 148F) and maybe
use something like caramel or munich to boost
the body a touch. Also, use less flavor hop
(though I did like the flavor of Mt. Hood.) and
see if I can get some locally grown spelt. I
really want to boost the ester and reduce the
spice (which as I've already said is either hop
or phenol induced.)
http://www.pearedcreation.com/hoster-brewing-company
http://www.ohiobreweriana.com/library/holdings/hoster.shtml
http://davideharrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Manuszak_2002.pdf
http://www.beerhistory.com/library/
http://www.americanbreweriana.org/breweriana/westernbrewerjournals.php
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html
http://thomas.cizauskas.net/articles/maize.html
https://archive.org/stream/americanhandybo00wahlgoog/americanhandybo00wahlgoog_djvu.txt
https://ia800301.us.archive.org/35/items/americanhandybo00wahlgoog/americanhandybo00wahlgoog.pdf
http://www.beerinstitute.org/statistics
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/difference-between-a-pre-prohibition-style-lager-and-post-prohibition.102016/
https://www.sites.google.com/site/jesskidden/jk'smisc.beerpages
Brewing Battles: A History of American Beer, Amy Mittleman
http://catalog.ohiohistory.org/Presto/content/Detail.aspx?q=YnJld2luZw==&ctID=NmE4OGE2YjYtNTE1Ni00Mjk4LWFiZGMtYTAzOTk0ODFmYzMy&rID=MzI4Mw==&qcf=&ph=VHJ1ZQ==&bckToL=VHJ1ZQ==&
Beers, Breweries & Breweriana Sonja and Will Anderson, 1969
"The theory and practice of modern brewing" Frank Faulkner https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=tvs7AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PR4-IA1
Journal of the Institute of Brewing, 1907 https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=GX5BAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PP1
Ok, I give up. I'll use the George Fix "pre-prohibition lager" recipe here and convert it from 1BBl:
http://www.morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html
Aim for a touch over 1.05, get up to about 27IBU.
Grist
8.5 lbs american 6 row
2 lbs flaked maize
6.5 gal wort, pre-boil SG = 1.041, final SG = 1.053 @ 70%
Step mash:
122F for 30 min (malt only, use 2.5 gal of water, 133F)
140F for 15 min (add 3 qt boiling water and flaked maize)
158F for 30 min (direct heat)
170F for 10 min (add 1.5 gal boiling water)
1oz Mt Hood (60 min 5.1% alpha, YCH pellet)
1oz Mt Hood (10 min 5.1% alpha, YCH pellet)
about 29 IBU
4/2/2016 10:15am Began dough-in with 3 qt of 133F water.
10:27am Finished infusing the rest of the 133F
water. Something went wrong, mash temp was up
to 135F (somehow), so I added 1qt of room temp
water. Temp stabilized at 129. Not sure
how my calculations got so screwed up. The
kettle thermometer says the mash is
128F right now but the stick thermometer says
122F. GUess I need to calibrate again.
10:58am Added flaked maize and then boiling water, temp
of mash was 124F when I added the maize and
boiling water, it only got to 138F after adding
the boiling water. Began 15 min rest.
11:12am Began using direct heat on the mash kettle
to raise the temp to 158F for next rest.
11:27am Finished heating mash. Temp settled at
161F, a little high, but I'm sure it will
fall in the next half hour.
11:58am Finished 158F rest, added 1.5 gal
boiling water for mashout. Temp of mash was
158F before adding the boiling water, so that
rest was a little bit warm.
12:12pm finally finished recirculation, took a lot
more than normal for wort to run clear. Began
sparge.
12:31pm sparge has slowed to a tiny trickle with only
3 gal collected (there are 5 in the mash tun.)
Will add sparge water and attempt to clear
clogged false bottom.
12:36pm added 2.5 gal 180F sparge water.
12:46pm began second sparge.
1:00pm finished sparge. Only got a touch
under 6 gal. something is wrong.
Pre-boil SG=1.05 on the nose, right about
70F. Close enough for the calibrated temp.
That's a little over 75% efficiency, pretty good.
1:49pm Boil begins. Doing 75 min boil today.
Note that I was unable to keep my outdoor burner
lit today, so I had to boil inside. The boil was
not as vigorous as I would have liked.
2:06pm Added 1oz Mt Hood.
2:48pm Added 1oz Mt Hood, whirlfloc, wyeast beer yeast
nutrient and put immersion chiller in kettle.
3:05pm Finished boil
3:16pm Temp down to 95F.
3:21pm Temp down to 80F, turned off chiller. Got
about 4.75 gallons of wort, pretty good evaporation.
I will add 0.75 gallons of water to get the starting
gravity to about 1.052, should have about 5 gallons
in the fermenter.
6:50pm Moved wort to bucket, aerated for 20 minutes
7:10pm Began moving wort to kolsch fermenter. Measured
SG = 1.060, had about 4.5gal of contents after
removing the kolsch and adding the speckled sow
wort (left behind all the cold break from kolsch
as well as a touch more beer than I'd wanted to.)
Added 0.5 gal fresh water, which reduced the SG = 1.055.
That should be perfect. Added clarity ferm for
gluten reduction (which seemed to work for Little Bitter
and Ry's PA, as tested on Laura Plantenberg.)
11:40pm Krausen has formed, fermentation is active. Lots
of motion up and down in fermenter. Wonder if I
will need blowoff tube? I am guessing yes.
Temp is 71F. Wort is very light in color, about
the same pale gold as the kolsch. I was hoping for
more bright yellow than pale gold, but it is still
quite light. The flavor is just a hint grainy, but
rather clean overall. Tastes less sweet than before
with the addition of the hops, but still not
very bitter. Might actually be less bitter than
the kolsch was.
4/3/2016 7:19am Fermentation is tremendously active, large chunks
of cold break material are flying everywhere.
1s between bubbles, fermenter is 70F. Exhaust
smells sweet and fruity.
12:59pm This fermentation is the most active I've seen.
The entire basement smells sweet and fruity.
4:03pm 1.2 bubbles/s, temp of fermenter is up to 71F,
reservoir at 70F.
4/4/2016 7:03am 3s between bubbles, fermentation is already starting
to slow slightly. Temp it probably a touch lower
than 71F, and the reservoir is still 70F. Beer smells
less fruity now, more "beery".
4/5/2016 7:10am Temp down to probably 70.5F, reservoir at 70F,
3s between bubbles.
4/6/2016 5:24pm 5s between bubbles, fermenter is 70F.
4/7/2016 5:02pm 7s between bubbles
4/8/2016 7:48pm 13s between bubbles, fermentation has slowed
considerably.
4/9/2016 7:22pm Krausen has fallen
4/10/2016 7:13am 26s between bubbles.
4/12/2016 7:02am 37s between bubbles.
4/16/2016 7:01pm Transferred to secondary, put it in the lagering
fridge at 50F. Will keep it in secondary for
5 days, then bottle. Just want some of the trub
to settle out. There are about 4.5 gallons of beer.
4/22/2016 11:30am Bottled today. Used 1.9oz corn sugar, boiled for
5 minutes with 2C doubled filtered water. Got
42 12oz bottles and 2 24oz bottles for 46 bottles
equivalent. FG=1.009, with the OG = 1.055, that
gives 6% ABV (a little higher than I wanted) and
83% attenuation, which is very high for the yeast.
The beer is very interesting, a little different
than I expected. The color is again a bright
gold, almost the same as the kolsch. It is more
cloudy than the kolsch, but not so much as I
intended. Probably should have given a warmer
secondary. Fruit is mostly on the nose, and there
is a nice rich molasses or deep grain flavor in the
nose as well. The flavor is robust, a little
bit "melon-y", and again quite grainy. There is
either some alcoholic heat or some hop bitterness
that gives it a little bit of an edge. It is not
nearly as mouth filling as I had hoped, like the
Land Grant 1862 ale. It is good, it is a little
different.
4/30/2016 8:40pm Opened a bottle today, one that I had on the fridge,
and it was not carbonated enough. Will check back
next week. It is quite clear and pretty grainy,
tastes nice and rustic and plenty unique.
5/6/2016 2:35pm Fully carbonated now, but there is only a thin
white head that dissapates pretty quickly. It
is nice and grainy and has an earthy quality,
but it is a lot less fruity than I had hoped.
It has the slightest hint of whatever fruit is in
Bell's yeast, but it is only a hint. The
fruit seems to be a bit "musky". More than
anything else it is spicy. I can't figure out
if it is from the yeast or the hops. My guess
is that 1oz of Mt Hood for 10 min givess too much
hop flavor. It tastes very earthy with a hint
of cinnamon and black pepper. Anna thinks it
tastes like black licorice, which I don't
agree with. I do think it is a bit too "heavy",
and with a lower gravity would end up cleaner.
I will try again next year going lighter on
the starting gravity and flavor hops.
5/11/2016 10:58pm Had a bottle that was kept in the basement to
carbonate and it is a lot better than the ones
kept on the fridge. A lot less spicy and
less musky. It is still funky but a lot more
crisp. It is fine, but it isn't great.
6/27/2016 10:38pm I like the beer even more now. It is quite
clear (thanks clarity ferm!) perfectly carbonated
to maybe a touch overly so (the glass is about
3/4 of the way full and there is still some
head on it.) I think that it is too spicy,
which I am blaming on the large addition
of Mt Hood at 10 min. If I insist on using
a full 1oz, I should put some in at 15 min
and some in at 5 min. It is of course possible
that the spicy flavor is from the yeast, but
based on my experience with the Pilsener (which
had a huge addition of Saaz at 20 min), I am
guessing that the spicy flavor I taste is
"noble hop character." Also, I just decided that
it is a touch too bitter. I think with a lower
bitterness level the other, subtler flavors
will shine through. I was hoping for a little
more expressiveness out of the grist, but I really
don't notice much. I'd be shocked if the american
6-row is what is causing the spicy flavor. It is
worth noting here that Tom loved it, preferring it
over the Kolsch and the Pils (and he even liked it
enough to leave a Yuengling behind.)
8/18/2016 10:11pm Having a bottle now (only 4 left) to compare
with the Kolsch. It is much more dry than the kolsch
(no surprise since I put the wort right on the yeast
cake.) It has a bit of a minerally (more like
metallic) taste that I don't like and it is
too spicy. If I make it again I might use
a blend of 2 row/ 6 row, use single infusion (but
at a relatively low temp like 148F) and maybe
use something like caramel or munich to boost
the body a touch. Also, use less flavor hop
(though I did like the flavor of Mt. Hood.) and
see if I can get some locally grown spelt. I
really want to boost the ester and reduce the
spice (which as I've already said is either hop
or phenol induced.)