1928 Barclay Perkins IPA:
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1928-barclay_18.html
Two hearted:
http://imgur.com/bfITU9X or
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/
1909 Barclay Perkins KK
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/10/lets-brew-wednesday-1909-barclay.html
https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-DennysRyePA.pdf
8.0lb Maris Otter
2.5lb Malted Rye
1.5lb American 6 row
1lb invert syrup (15 minutes)
1lb Pilsen DME (boiled 15 minutes in 2qt water)
Pre-boil OG = 1.045
OG = 1.066
May want to mill the rye separately, with a smaller gap. Make sure you do a good mashout.
Mash 60 min @ 153F, 0.85qt/lb
10qt of 173F water
Mashout w/ 2.5 gal 183F water, 15 min
Sparge w/ 3 gal 170F water
Boil 90 min, 7 gal total volume
Hop schedule
1.5oz Centennial (45 min 10.9% alpha, NB leaf, 2014 Crop)
0.5oz Cascade (45 min 10.8% alpha, NB leaf 2014 Crop)
1.5oz Centennial (30 min)
3oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
Note that these alpha numbers will give 104IBU if they are correct, but if the alpha has
reduced by 50% (which is what Hop Union says) then it will be 55 IBU, which is
Yeast: WLP022 Essex Ale, ferment at 68F, raise to 72F after 3 days of active fermentation
2/9/2016 12:15pm WLP022 was delivered, anna brought it inside to warm up
5:00pm Brought 1qt water to a boil, added 1/2C briess pilsen DME and 1/4t
Wyeast beer yeast nutrient. Boiled 15 minutes.
5:30pm Cooled starter wort to 84F, shook it vigorously, shook vial of yeast,
slowly opened yeast vial cap (it was very fizzy), pitched yeast.
Put starter fermenter on stir plate in warming chamber at 73F.
6:15pm Already some airlock activity.
6:16pm Began heating water.
6:50pm Finished stirring in water, used 12qt total, 10 warm and 2 room temp
to get a 152F mashing temp. Put kettle in oven that is about 150F.
7:16pm Stirred, added a little heat to get the temp back to 152F. I'm not
sure that my new thermometer is properly calibrated. *UPDATE* I
measured mash temp during mashout with alcohol thermometer, and it
measured 162F compared to 168F on the kettle thermometer. So again,
I mashed too cold.
7:56pm Began mashout with 10qt 183F water. Thermometer reads exactly 170F.
8:12pm Began recirculation. Recirculated 1 gal.
8:20pm Began sparge, drawing off mashout water first, then using
3 gal 170F water.
9:15pm Only collected 6.5 gal of water, so I put another gallon through
the mash. Not sure why I lost so much water.
9:25pm Finished all sparging, got a little over 7 gal of wort.
9:55pm Boil finally begins.
10:41pm Added 1.5oz Centennial and 0.5oz Cascade.
10:55pm Added 1.5oz Centennial
11:11pm Added 1lb invert syrup, whirlfloc, 1/2t wyeast beer nutrient.
11:26pm Finished boil
11:30pm Started chilling.
11:36pm temp down to 110F, added ice to pre chiller
11:46pm temp down to 82F, finished chilling (note that the thermometer
read 75 when I turned the chiller off but it went up to 82F
when I put the wort in the fermenter.)
2/10/2016 12:55am The wort ran really clear through all those leaf hops, most
of the cold break had settled. OG measured 1.06, (at 82F) which
was a big disappointment. I also got a little under 5 gallons,
which again was disappointing. My crush must have been poor.
The beer has a nice "clean" bitterness, which has a hint of
lemon on the rather long finish. I think it will be fine but
not excellent. Krausen has formed on the yeast starter.
6:51am Began aerating wort. Added 2qt water and 1lb Pilsen DME boiled
for 15 minutes to bring the OG up to 1.069.
7:19am Finished aerating. The entire headspace of the bucket was full
of foam and a little bit squeezed out when i put the cover on.
7:25am Added extra wort.
7:29am Pitched yeast. There was a little bit of foam on the top of
the fermenter, but most of the yeast settled on the fermenter.
There was a large billowy mass, about 4x the size of the original
vial. The starter wort tasted *amazing*, exactly what I had
hoped for. There was a large amount of breadiness up front
and a little bit of soft fruit in the back (apples mostly,
reminded me a little bit of the kolsch yeast.) Temp of fermenter
is 72F. Added clarity ferm
5:28pm Ambient temp down to 69F, fermentation is just beginning. There
are patchy blobs of bright white billowy krausen forming, surface
of fermenter is just about covered with a thin layer.
11:37pm A thick layer of fluffy white foam has covered the entire
fermenter about 2" thick. Temp is 69F, ambient is 66F. Beer is
very clear, a small amount of protein scum has been deposited
in fermenter but no sign of hop detritus anywhere (the kettle
screen did its job it seems.) There is over 5 gallons now.
2/11/2016 6:56am A nice full layer of foam has evenly covered the surface
of the beer. It has a lot more scummy foam than before.
Temp is 71F, and the ambient temp is 68F
5:59pm Beer smells incredibly fruity, lots of stone fruit (much
more than expected. Temp up to 73F, ambient is 68F. Skimmed
the foam, which had lots of very thick, sticky, dense
crud. Other than that, the beer was very clean. The foam
is almost white and there is very little trace of hop detritus.
2/12/2016 5:35pm Temp down to 70F. Skimmed yeast, krausen was very thick and
sticky, quite similar to the WY1469 (I wonder if these are
the same yeasts, they both have a very distinct stone
fruit aroma.) I collected a tremendous amount of yeast
and the yeast is a very bright white. Sealed fermenter,
airlock is bubbling 1/s.
9:21pm Moved fermenter to a water bath, temp is 72F.
2/13/2016 7:27am Temp fell all the way to 69F, warmed up the water bath
a little. Aiming for 70 or a little above for the next
day or two, followed by a steady rise in temp after the
krausen falls. 2s between bubbles, krausen has reformed.
8:30pm Temp 71F
2/14/2016 7:18am Fermentation is slowing. 6s between bubbles, temp
is 71F. Turned temp up a few degrees. Still has
lots of krausen.
11:39pm Temp up to 73F, 5s between bubbles
2/15/2016 6:39pm Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles.
2/16/2016 7:01am Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles, still has lots of krausen.
Smells kind "beery", not nice and fruity like before.
9:47pm Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles. Krausen is even higher
than before, but the bubbles are larger and looser than
before
2/17/2016 7:02am Temp 74F, 6s between bubbles
6:53pm Temp 73F, 7s between bubbles, krausen just starting to
recede.
2/18/2016 7:09pm Temp 73F, 8s between bubbles, krausen receded further
but still very much present.
2/20/2016 7:25am Temp 73F, 9s between bubbles, krausen has fallen
even further.
2/21/2016 1:05pm 11s between bubbles
2/22/2016 7:10am 14s between bubbles
2/23/2016 8:43pm 16s between bubbles, temp 72F, unplugged heater.
2/24/2016 7:09am 48s between bubbles, krausen has basically all fallen.
6:40pm Transferred to secondary, added 3oz Centennial dry
hops. Measured SG=1.014, i think. If true, this would
be 78% attenuation and 7.1% ABV It was kind of
hard to read. Beer tastes *amazing* (I know
I use that word lightly, but it really is.)
Very similar to the London Ale or WLP530 with the
"oaky" flavor, but it also has a little bit more
round maltiness and a little bit more breadiness.
I don't really taste the minerality that is claimed
by white labs, but it is great. Not quite as bitter
as it probably should be, but still should be
quite good. I might use leaf hops again next year,
but I will definitely use the current-year crop.
2/28/2016 11:30pm Moved fermenter to fridge to cold crash. Fridge
was at ambient temp, fermenter was at 67F.
2/29/2016 7:08am Temp down to 47F
8:02pm Temp down to 32F
11:53pm Quite a bit of yeast has settled out, and it is
not smooth and uniform on the bottom of the fermenter
but kind of "snow drifted" and billowy. I wonder
if this means that the cooling of the fermenter
wasn't uniform. The beer is still very cloudy.
3/2/2016 7:13am Removed fermenter from cold crash. Beer is still
quite cloudy, but I need to bottle it tonight.
When I agitated the fermenter a little the hop
flowers started settling to the bottom of the fermenter.
I'm not sure that they will stay there as the
fermenter warms up.
7:22pm Beer seems much more clear now, it is a golden
light amber color. Used 2.5 oz corn sugar, boiled
for 15 minutes with 2C double filtered water to prime.
Got 46 12oz bottles and 1 24oz bottle, which was
quite good yield considering I was only able to
get 4.5gal out of the fermenter. I had about 12
oz left in the bottling bucket and maybe another
12oz of very yeasty trubby beer in the secondary,
so it was a decent yield but not excellent considering
the amount of (whole cone) dry hops I used. FG=1.014,
same as I measured last week. This gives 78%
attenuation and 7.1% abv. The color is a pale gold,
about two shades darker than the kolsch. It has
a tremendous amount of "hoppiness", but since I
have a cold I can't really taste anything. Put
12 bottles outside to chill before capping to
increase the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide
(carbonate faster.)
3/10/2016 9:01pm Opened first bottle tonight. There was a pleasant
"pfft", but it sounded a little small. Anna thought
it meant that it wasn't carbonated. I started pouring
down the center of the glass, and little foam developed
at first. By the time I got the whole bottle in the
glass a 1/2" bright white head had formed. It is a pale
gold, darker than the Bell's Winter White (which is
the palest beer I've seen in a long while) but lighter
than the Harvest IPA. It is still slightly cloudy
but continues to clear as time passes. This one only
spent a few hours in the fridge, with a couple of days
I expect that it will drop quite bright. The aroma
is very similar to the aroma produced by the
WY1469, a fruity apple-peach. Very little hop
aroma comes through over the yeasty esters, though
there might be a hint of floral honey. There is
substantial hop bitterness up front, and the
hop aroma is definitely more floral than citrus.
There is a nice grainy note on the finish, followed
by a touch of honey caramel, followed by a hoppy
bitterness that lingers and lingers. It finishes
mostly dry with a touch of sweetness, and really
doesn't have much fruit in the end. I don't get
much from the rye, but all told this is a very nice
beer. I'm trying to figure out if the Centennial
works with the bready grainy flavor, but I love
all the components. In probably the strongest
endorsement, Anna said "I don't love it, but it is
growing on me, kind of like Roquefort." I moved
the unchilled bottles
to the cooler part of the basement. I just tasted
a 2 hearted ale, and the head is the same bright
white, the color is the same pale gold, but it
is a lot different than Ry's PA. The hop aroma
is a lot brighter (probably because the hops are
fresher), it is slightly less bitter and the
yeast is slightly more spicy and a little bit
cleaner. I like it better.
3/13/2016 7:40pm I'm getting used to this one, and I like it. It
isn't 2 hearted, but it isn't really supposed to be
anyway. I think I will try a less flavorful English
yeast next time, but I don't think I will change
anything else.
3/28/2016 7:02pm These beers are overcarbonated now. Don't know
what went wrong, but I guess I used too much sugar
again. Still struggling on how to carbonate without
overcarbonating. Maybe putting them in the warm
room causes the yeast to become overactive?
7/1/2016 10:29pm Finished the last bottle today. It was ok but not
great. It was a little thick (too much MO?) and
not quite attenuated enough. The yeast wasn't
as interesting as I had hoped. I was hoping for more
bready flavor and a little more minerality, what
I ended up with was some fruity flavors and a little
too much malt, which was at war with the strong
citrus from the Centennial.
The beer had great hop aroma and flavor, probably
lacked some bitterness. Definitely lacked any
spicyness from the rye. Need to use an american
yeast next time and probably american malts. I am
leaning toward using the base 2 hearted recipe,
adding 2.5lb rye, and using Bell's yeast if my collection
works out.
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1928-barclay_18.html
Two hearted:
http://imgur.com/bfITU9X or
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/
1909 Barclay Perkins KK
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/10/lets-brew-wednesday-1909-barclay.html
https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-DennysRyePA.pdf
8.0lb Maris Otter
2.5lb Malted Rye
1.5lb American 6 row
1lb invert syrup (15 minutes)
1lb Pilsen DME (boiled 15 minutes in 2qt water)
Pre-boil OG = 1.045
OG = 1.066
May want to mill the rye separately, with a smaller gap. Make sure you do a good mashout.
Mash 60 min @ 153F, 0.85qt/lb
10qt of 173F water
Mashout w/ 2.5 gal 183F water, 15 min
Sparge w/ 3 gal 170F water
Boil 90 min, 7 gal total volume
Hop schedule
1.5oz Centennial (45 min 10.9% alpha, NB leaf, 2014 Crop)
0.5oz Cascade (45 min 10.8% alpha, NB leaf 2014 Crop)
1.5oz Centennial (30 min)
3oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
Note that these alpha numbers will give 104IBU if they are correct, but if the alpha has
reduced by 50% (which is what Hop Union says) then it will be 55 IBU, which is
Yeast: WLP022 Essex Ale, ferment at 68F, raise to 72F after 3 days of active fermentation
2/9/2016 12:15pm WLP022 was delivered, anna brought it inside to warm up
5:00pm Brought 1qt water to a boil, added 1/2C briess pilsen DME and 1/4t
Wyeast beer yeast nutrient. Boiled 15 minutes.
5:30pm Cooled starter wort to 84F, shook it vigorously, shook vial of yeast,
slowly opened yeast vial cap (it was very fizzy), pitched yeast.
Put starter fermenter on stir plate in warming chamber at 73F.
6:15pm Already some airlock activity.
6:16pm Began heating water.
6:50pm Finished stirring in water, used 12qt total, 10 warm and 2 room temp
to get a 152F mashing temp. Put kettle in oven that is about 150F.
7:16pm Stirred, added a little heat to get the temp back to 152F. I'm not
sure that my new thermometer is properly calibrated. *UPDATE* I
measured mash temp during mashout with alcohol thermometer, and it
measured 162F compared to 168F on the kettle thermometer. So again,
I mashed too cold.
7:56pm Began mashout with 10qt 183F water. Thermometer reads exactly 170F.
8:12pm Began recirculation. Recirculated 1 gal.
8:20pm Began sparge, drawing off mashout water first, then using
3 gal 170F water.
9:15pm Only collected 6.5 gal of water, so I put another gallon through
the mash. Not sure why I lost so much water.
9:25pm Finished all sparging, got a little over 7 gal of wort.
9:55pm Boil finally begins.
10:41pm Added 1.5oz Centennial and 0.5oz Cascade.
10:55pm Added 1.5oz Centennial
11:11pm Added 1lb invert syrup, whirlfloc, 1/2t wyeast beer nutrient.
11:26pm Finished boil
11:30pm Started chilling.
11:36pm temp down to 110F, added ice to pre chiller
11:46pm temp down to 82F, finished chilling (note that the thermometer
read 75 when I turned the chiller off but it went up to 82F
when I put the wort in the fermenter.)
2/10/2016 12:55am The wort ran really clear through all those leaf hops, most
of the cold break had settled. OG measured 1.06, (at 82F) which
was a big disappointment. I also got a little under 5 gallons,
which again was disappointing. My crush must have been poor.
The beer has a nice "clean" bitterness, which has a hint of
lemon on the rather long finish. I think it will be fine but
not excellent. Krausen has formed on the yeast starter.
6:51am Began aerating wort. Added 2qt water and 1lb Pilsen DME boiled
for 15 minutes to bring the OG up to 1.069.
7:19am Finished aerating. The entire headspace of the bucket was full
of foam and a little bit squeezed out when i put the cover on.
7:25am Added extra wort.
7:29am Pitched yeast. There was a little bit of foam on the top of
the fermenter, but most of the yeast settled on the fermenter.
There was a large billowy mass, about 4x the size of the original
vial. The starter wort tasted *amazing*, exactly what I had
hoped for. There was a large amount of breadiness up front
and a little bit of soft fruit in the back (apples mostly,
reminded me a little bit of the kolsch yeast.) Temp of fermenter
is 72F. Added clarity ferm
5:28pm Ambient temp down to 69F, fermentation is just beginning. There
are patchy blobs of bright white billowy krausen forming, surface
of fermenter is just about covered with a thin layer.
11:37pm A thick layer of fluffy white foam has covered the entire
fermenter about 2" thick. Temp is 69F, ambient is 66F. Beer is
very clear, a small amount of protein scum has been deposited
in fermenter but no sign of hop detritus anywhere (the kettle
screen did its job it seems.) There is over 5 gallons now.
2/11/2016 6:56am A nice full layer of foam has evenly covered the surface
of the beer. It has a lot more scummy foam than before.
Temp is 71F, and the ambient temp is 68F
5:59pm Beer smells incredibly fruity, lots of stone fruit (much
more than expected. Temp up to 73F, ambient is 68F. Skimmed
the foam, which had lots of very thick, sticky, dense
crud. Other than that, the beer was very clean. The foam
is almost white and there is very little trace of hop detritus.
2/12/2016 5:35pm Temp down to 70F. Skimmed yeast, krausen was very thick and
sticky, quite similar to the WY1469 (I wonder if these are
the same yeasts, they both have a very distinct stone
fruit aroma.) I collected a tremendous amount of yeast
and the yeast is a very bright white. Sealed fermenter,
airlock is bubbling 1/s.
9:21pm Moved fermenter to a water bath, temp is 72F.
2/13/2016 7:27am Temp fell all the way to 69F, warmed up the water bath
a little. Aiming for 70 or a little above for the next
day or two, followed by a steady rise in temp after the
krausen falls. 2s between bubbles, krausen has reformed.
8:30pm Temp 71F
2/14/2016 7:18am Fermentation is slowing. 6s between bubbles, temp
is 71F. Turned temp up a few degrees. Still has
lots of krausen.
11:39pm Temp up to 73F, 5s between bubbles
2/15/2016 6:39pm Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles.
2/16/2016 7:01am Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles, still has lots of krausen.
Smells kind "beery", not nice and fruity like before.
9:47pm Temp 73F, 6s between bubbles. Krausen is even higher
than before, but the bubbles are larger and looser than
before
2/17/2016 7:02am Temp 74F, 6s between bubbles
6:53pm Temp 73F, 7s between bubbles, krausen just starting to
recede.
2/18/2016 7:09pm Temp 73F, 8s between bubbles, krausen receded further
but still very much present.
2/20/2016 7:25am Temp 73F, 9s between bubbles, krausen has fallen
even further.
2/21/2016 1:05pm 11s between bubbles
2/22/2016 7:10am 14s between bubbles
2/23/2016 8:43pm 16s between bubbles, temp 72F, unplugged heater.
2/24/2016 7:09am 48s between bubbles, krausen has basically all fallen.
6:40pm Transferred to secondary, added 3oz Centennial dry
hops. Measured SG=1.014, i think. If true, this would
be 78% attenuation and 7.1% ABV It was kind of
hard to read. Beer tastes *amazing* (I know
I use that word lightly, but it really is.)
Very similar to the London Ale or WLP530 with the
"oaky" flavor, but it also has a little bit more
round maltiness and a little bit more breadiness.
I don't really taste the minerality that is claimed
by white labs, but it is great. Not quite as bitter
as it probably should be, but still should be
quite good. I might use leaf hops again next year,
but I will definitely use the current-year crop.
2/28/2016 11:30pm Moved fermenter to fridge to cold crash. Fridge
was at ambient temp, fermenter was at 67F.
2/29/2016 7:08am Temp down to 47F
8:02pm Temp down to 32F
11:53pm Quite a bit of yeast has settled out, and it is
not smooth and uniform on the bottom of the fermenter
but kind of "snow drifted" and billowy. I wonder
if this means that the cooling of the fermenter
wasn't uniform. The beer is still very cloudy.
3/2/2016 7:13am Removed fermenter from cold crash. Beer is still
quite cloudy, but I need to bottle it tonight.
When I agitated the fermenter a little the hop
flowers started settling to the bottom of the fermenter.
I'm not sure that they will stay there as the
fermenter warms up.
7:22pm Beer seems much more clear now, it is a golden
light amber color. Used 2.5 oz corn sugar, boiled
for 15 minutes with 2C double filtered water to prime.
Got 46 12oz bottles and 1 24oz bottle, which was
quite good yield considering I was only able to
get 4.5gal out of the fermenter. I had about 12
oz left in the bottling bucket and maybe another
12oz of very yeasty trubby beer in the secondary,
so it was a decent yield but not excellent considering
the amount of (whole cone) dry hops I used. FG=1.014,
same as I measured last week. This gives 78%
attenuation and 7.1% abv. The color is a pale gold,
about two shades darker than the kolsch. It has
a tremendous amount of "hoppiness", but since I
have a cold I can't really taste anything. Put
12 bottles outside to chill before capping to
increase the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide
(carbonate faster.)
3/10/2016 9:01pm Opened first bottle tonight. There was a pleasant
"pfft", but it sounded a little small. Anna thought
it meant that it wasn't carbonated. I started pouring
down the center of the glass, and little foam developed
at first. By the time I got the whole bottle in the
glass a 1/2" bright white head had formed. It is a pale
gold, darker than the Bell's Winter White (which is
the palest beer I've seen in a long while) but lighter
than the Harvest IPA. It is still slightly cloudy
but continues to clear as time passes. This one only
spent a few hours in the fridge, with a couple of days
I expect that it will drop quite bright. The aroma
is very similar to the aroma produced by the
WY1469, a fruity apple-peach. Very little hop
aroma comes through over the yeasty esters, though
there might be a hint of floral honey. There is
substantial hop bitterness up front, and the
hop aroma is definitely more floral than citrus.
There is a nice grainy note on the finish, followed
by a touch of honey caramel, followed by a hoppy
bitterness that lingers and lingers. It finishes
mostly dry with a touch of sweetness, and really
doesn't have much fruit in the end. I don't get
much from the rye, but all told this is a very nice
beer. I'm trying to figure out if the Centennial
works with the bready grainy flavor, but I love
all the components. In probably the strongest
endorsement, Anna said "I don't love it, but it is
growing on me, kind of like Roquefort." I moved
the unchilled bottles
to the cooler part of the basement. I just tasted
a 2 hearted ale, and the head is the same bright
white, the color is the same pale gold, but it
is a lot different than Ry's PA. The hop aroma
is a lot brighter (probably because the hops are
fresher), it is slightly less bitter and the
yeast is slightly more spicy and a little bit
cleaner. I like it better.
3/13/2016 7:40pm I'm getting used to this one, and I like it. It
isn't 2 hearted, but it isn't really supposed to be
anyway. I think I will try a less flavorful English
yeast next time, but I don't think I will change
anything else.
3/28/2016 7:02pm These beers are overcarbonated now. Don't know
what went wrong, but I guess I used too much sugar
again. Still struggling on how to carbonate without
overcarbonating. Maybe putting them in the warm
room causes the yeast to become overactive?
7/1/2016 10:29pm Finished the last bottle today. It was ok but not
great. It was a little thick (too much MO?) and
not quite attenuated enough. The yeast wasn't
as interesting as I had hoped. I was hoping for more
bready flavor and a little more minerality, what
I ended up with was some fruity flavors and a little
too much malt, which was at war with the strong
citrus from the Centennial.
The beer had great hop aroma and flavor, probably
lacked some bitterness. Definitely lacked any
spicyness from the rye. Need to use an american
yeast next time and probably american malts. I am
leaning toward using the base 2 hearted recipe,
adding 2.5lb rye, and using Bell's yeast if my collection
works out.