Sunday, July 7, 2013

flannel board

At story time at the library, they have a large flannel board that they use to help illustrate some of the songs that are sung. With us not being able to make it for a while with Nathaniel on the way, I decided to make one for Edmund to play with.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to make, so I looked around on Pinterest and online and decided to make the following patterns.

Board
I made the board using an artist canvas that I bought on sale at Joann's and bought a half yard of flannel to cover it with. I attached it to the back of the canvas with hot glue, although a staple gun would work better. I will probably need to attach it again once Edmund decides to pull it off one day.

You can make any size you want, which is nice. Mine is approx 1 1/2' x 2'.
back of board
front of board
The patterns are made out of felt. I purchased a bundle of felt squares from Joann's. I doubled the felt cut outs and sewed them together to make the pieces more durable. This isn't necessary, but I figured if I was putting in the effort, that I wanted it to last.

Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head
I found the cute pattern to make this set on the following site. Based off of a quiet book pattern, I thought it would be cute as a flannel board as well. She has printable pattern cut outs making it easy to make.
mrs. potato head
mr. potato head
Seasons
I really loved the following pattern and decided to use it as my inspiration for making a series of tree patterns to illustrate the different seasons.
spring
summer
autumn
winter
Shapes/Colors
No pattern was needed to make some simple shapes and color patterns.
shapes
Luckily, Edmund loves it!
edmund playing with shapes
-Anna