Tuesday, November 13, 2012

roasted chestnuts

Eric had the day off yesterday so I ran a few errands while Edmund was taking a nap. I would like to say that it was blissful, but it was pouring outside and I got drenched. Either way, it was much easier doing it by myself and not dragging a 15 month old along with me.

It was at the grocery store that I saw them - a large wooden basket full of chestnuts and they were on sale. Eric loves chestnuts. When we were in Austria, there are vendors that roast them on the street, and I think we stopped at every single one of them because Eric couldn't pass up the warm roasted treat.

Since it is fall and we were planning on having a fire that night, I thought I would surprise him with a half pound of them. That's all I bought because they were still expensive at $5/lb and I couldn't bring myself to spend more than a few dollars on them.

Eric was excited with his new treasure and we enjoyed them that evening in front of our fire.

Preparation if chestnuts is easy enough, you just have to be careful not to cut your hand while slitting them prior to roasting. The outcome is a warm, earthy, slightly sweet, potato-like nut.

prior to baking
after baking

Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 400 deg F.
2. Using a small, sharp knife, cut a cross into the skin of each nut. Put in a roasting pan and bake until the skins open and the insides are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. To eat, peel away the tough outer shell and the inner skin to get to the sweet kernel. Make sure to wait until they have at least cooled a little so that you don't burn your fingers.

-Anna