Tuesday, November 1, 2011

sweet potato biscuits


I love homemade bread products. I especially love them if they don’t require yeast as I don’t typically have the patience (or time) to wait for the rising/punching process required to make them for a weekday meal. Enter the recipe in this November’s Food Network magazine for Paula Deen’s sweet potato biscuits. I was completely on board. There is everything to love about sweet potatoes, biscuits, and Paula Deen, and combining them together sounded interesting.

The recipe was easy to make. I cooked the sweet potato in the microwave to save time. Normally, I bake them in the oven or toaster oven, but I figured it didn’t matter if I was just going to mash it into dough. The sweet potato added a nice amber tint to the rolls and a slight sweetness . I could barely taste the sweet potato, but they turned out moist which is a huge positive since I dislike dry bread. The next time I make them, I might try adding a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice to the recipe to add a bit more flavor. Overall, I thought it was a nice alternative to bread at a fall or winter meal.


-Anna