Wednesday, November 2, 2011

spinach pie


The package of phyllo dough had been staring at me from the freezer for months. I had been openly ignoring it. As much as I love the flakey and buttery pastry, it is such a pain to work with. I find myself having the thin sheets fall apart before I can even layer them.

It needed to be used up, so I looked online for some recipe ideas and came upon a spinach pie. I found the recipe quantities to be to large (I’m not trying to feed a village) so I decided to use it more as a guideline. I was able to use them in the pie plate relatively easily and I rotated the pieces as I went to get a more even distribution for the crust. I trimmed the overhanging dough slightly before folding it up to make the crust to make it easier to manage. The pie turned out delicious and was another wonderful fall meal. I would make sure to squeeze out any extra liquid from the spinach since it turned out a little moist, but that could also be fixed by letting it set for 10 min. Overall, it reminded us of Greece and we liked it.

Ingredients
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
5 bunches scallions, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound spinach, chopped
12 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
4 large eggs
1 package phyllo dough
3 tbsp butter, melted

Directions
To a large pot, add the olive oil and saute the yellow onion until brown. Add the scallions, nutmeg, black pepper and salt.
Boil the chopped spinach until blanched and still bright green, stirring occasionally. Mix it together with the ingredients in the pot. Add the crumbled feta cheese and the eggs, making sure that the mixture is slightly cool so the eggs don't scramble, and mix.
Brush the phyllo dough with melted butter piece by piece, layering in 9” pie plate, using ½ of the phyllo sheets.
Then add the mix on top, and piece by piece layer and brush the rest of the phyllo on top. Mark the pieces with a knife and make sure the ends are tucked in, then coat with a little butter.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

-Anna