I love Asian inspired food, so I decided to try out this noodle dish that I saw in the NY Times. Since it's summer, it's nice to have dishes that are cold to beat the summer heat. This one was a winner and will be added to our recipe rotation.
Ingredients:
4 cups chopped vegetables, such as snow peas, bell peppers, cucumbers, scallions (I used red pepper, haricot verts, and snow peas)
12 ounces chinese egg noodles
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
1/2 cup tahini
2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
black pepper
Ingredients:
4 cups chopped vegetables, such as snow peas, bell peppers, cucumbers, scallions (I used red pepper, haricot verts, and snow peas)
12 ounces chinese egg noodles
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
1/2 cup tahini
2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
black pepper
Directions:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Prepare the vegetables: trim, seed, peel as necessary and cut into bite-size pieces. Reserve in a container until ready to use.
- Cook the noodles in the boiling water until tender but not mushy. When they’re done, rinse in cold water, then toss with a little sesame oil. Store in one or more containers.
- Whisk together the sesame oil and tahini, sugar, soy, ginger, vinegar, and pepper in a large bowl. Thin the sauce with hot water until it’s about the consistency of heavy cream; you will need 1/4 to 1/2 cup per serving; store as desired.
- Note: I sauteed the vegetables so that they were also softened rather than leaving them crispy at high heat. That way they were a little bit charred. I also did not add the hot oil from the original recipe because I have kids who don't like spicy food.
- When you’re ready to eat, toss a portion of the noodles and a portion of the vegetables; top with sauce and stir to coat.
- Link to original recipe here.
- -Anna
