Another one of my favorite meals for the winter is risotto. It's creamy, hearty, and can be paired with just about anything. What I don't love is all. that. stirring... With two kids, I do not have time for that.
When I saw the following recipe for oven risotto in our latest issue of Bon Appetit, I was a bit skeptical that it would turn out well. I wasn't sure that cooking the risotto in the oven would have the same effect as the stirring and slow addition of broth on the stove. I am willing to give most things a try at least once, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out really well. The pesto added a ton of flavor and my arm was not one bit tired.
I should mention that I modified the recipe slightly by nixing the walnuts and the extra kale that is added at the end. I am not a big fan of a lot of "crunch" in my risotto. I also used pecorino romano for the cheese (due to my lactose intolerance) and added about half the quantity.
![]() |
| kale risotto |
- Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 cup (packed) fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup torn Tuscan kale leaves, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1.5 ounces Parmesan (or Pecorino Romano), finely grated (about 1 cup)
Directions:
- 1) Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2) Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, 5–8 minutes. Stir in rice; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until some grains are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3) Add wine, bring to a simmer, and cook until pan is almost dry, about 3 minutes. Add 2 cups very hot water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and bake in oven until liquid is mostly absorbed but rice is still starchy in the center, 15–18 minutes (it should be undercooked).
- 4) Meanwhile, pulse garlic and half of toasted walnuts in a food processor until very finely ground. Add parsley, chives, half of kale, remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, and ¼ cup cold water; process until smooth; season pesto with salt and pepper.
- 5)Set saucepan over medium heat. Add ¾ cup very hot water and cook rice, stirring constantly, until it is tender but still has some bite and sauce is creamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in pesto, butter, three-quarters of Parmesan. Adjust consistency with water, if needed; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with remaining walnuts and cheese.
Link to Recipe.
-Anna
