Thursday, February 21, 2013

america's test kitchen slow cooker revolution

If you know me, you know that I love America's Test Kitchen. Maybe it's because Christopher Kimball is so likeable and nerdy. I am guessing it is more because I like the idea of testing recipes and trying to improve them in the most efficient way possible.

I mentioned before in this blog that I love my America's Test Kitchen: The Complete TV Show Cookbook, so I decided that I should try out their crock pot cookbook Slow Cooker Revolution. I remember seeing a few of my friends had liked it and although I am not historically a big slower cooker person, with another baby on the way, I thought it might be a good idea to have some meals that I can throw together when I have the time and let them cook all day.

Prior to getting this cookbook, I had made one slow cooker meal in our 5 years of marriage - one. So, I was excited to try some of the recipes out. Some of them have been hits, some have been not very flavorful, but overall, most of them have been what I would call dinner successes (except for the Country Captain's Chicken, which Eric did not like because the mango chutney made it too sweet).

If you like stews and hearty warm meals in the winter, this is a great cookbook to add to your collection if you don't already own it.

Here are the recipes that we have tried out and whether we thought it was great, okay, or not worth making again. The scale has been adjusted for slow cooker meals, that way it is not rated against things like traditional boeuf bourguignon.

Soups
N/A

Stews
Homey Chicken Stew - Like
My husband has requested this multiple times already. It's heartier than chicken soup yet still easy to make.

Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings - Okay
- This recipe has potential, but when we cooked it the dumplings didn't get fully cooked and melted into the stew, which was a huge disappointment.

Moroccan Chicken Stew - Like
We like middle eastern food, so this was a nice spin on the traditional chicken stew. We liked the spices and flavor over all.

Braises
Chicken Vesuvio - Like
This recipe lacked a bit in flavor, but is still worth making again.

Chicken Provencal - Like
We have mad this recipe outside of the crockpot and enjoyed the ease of making it this way. Perfect with a loaf of crusty bread.

Country Captain Chicken - Not Worth Making Again
We didn't like the spice combination and the sweetness the chutney brought to this meal. We typically like Indian food, but this was a disappointment.

Balsamic-Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard - Like
Although not as good heated up the next day because of the consistency of the swiss chard, the balsamic vinegar added a nice acidity to this chicken dish.

Chilis
Classic Turkey Chili - Like
Just a standard chili, we enjoyed this meal and substituted the beans for just garbanzo beans.

Tequila and Lime Turkey Chili - Like
This was one of the heartier chilis and it was tomato based. We skipped the tequila because we didn't have it on hand, but it still turned out great and reheated nicely.

White Chicken Chili - Like
This was my favorite chili recipe so far. I tend to tone down the spice factor for Edmund by keeping out the jalapenos, and I chose to add the extra hominy since we purchased a large can.

Barbecue Favorites and More
N/A

Pasta Sauces
N/A

Meatballs, Meatloaves, and More
N/A

Enchiladas, Tacos, and More
N/A

Casseroles
N/A

On the Side
N/A

Eggs and Brunch
N/A

Desserts
N/A

-Anna