Tuesday, June 5, 2012

snickerdoodle(deedooda)

Sometimes, I just need a good cookie with a glass of cold (lactose free) milk. I had never heard of snickerdoodles until I went to college, and if I had, I would have remembered it. It’s a sugar cookie with cinnamon, but with a funnier name.

According to the ever reliable Wikipedia,
“The Joy of Cooking claims that snickerdoodles are probably German in origin, and that the name is a corruption of the German word Schneckennudeln (literally "snail noodles"), a kind of pastry. A different author suggests that the word "snicker" comes from the German word Schnecke, which describes a snail shape. Yet another hypothesis suggests that the name has no particular meaning or purpose and is simply a whimsically named cookie that originated from a New England tradition of fanciful cookie names.”

No one really knows where the name comes from, but the recipe is a winner in our house. One again, my recipe is from Marjorie Johnson.

This is a perfect recipe for any time of year.
Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1) In an electric mixer, put butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Beat in the eggs to combine.
2) Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, and gradually add to the butter mixture on low speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Chill dough for 30 minutes or longer.
3) Take pieces of the dough and roll into 1 inch size balls. Combine sugar and cinnamon and roll the balls in it. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 deg for 12-15 minutes.
4) Remove cookies from baking sheets and cool on a wire rack.

-Anna